Google
 

10/28/2007

Thoughts on Recent Events

The fires are still burning in many places in Southern California. Many people donated money and offered shelter for the evacuees. At the same time, some other people are pretending to work for charity organizations and soliciting money, and some even broke into other people's houses. Not to mention the bastard(s) who started the fire in Orange County. Events like Hurricane Katrina and the SoCal fires bring the best and the worst out of people. This got me thinking... are people born as good or evil?

Are people born as good, caring, and kind? It's the adults, society, media then corrupt our minds and put the thoughts of doing bad deeds in our brain? Or are people born as evil, and then our parents and education correct and help us go down on the "right path?" Did the people that looted the stores after Katrina do it just to take advantage of the situation, or did they do it merely to survive? Well, I guess that depends on what they actually stole, huh? If they stole jewelry and electronics, then they probably took advantage of the situation, but if they stole food to feed their families, then I am not so sure I wouldn't do the same thing.

Recently I fell in love with a new TV show - Extreme Makeover - Home Edition. The show has been around for a while but I never paid much attention to it. It's about this group of home builders and designers going around the U.S., helping people going through difficult times in their lives and can't afford to live in a decent home rebuild. The stories of these peoples' lives are always very touching, and it just warms up my heart when I see them getting a real home built for them and how happy the builders and designers made them. It makes me cry every time I watch the show. I am such a wuss, I know. But it makes me feel good to know that there are people willing to help other people out there.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think people are born normal for the most part and their environment changes them.

Anonymous said...

i agree with eliot on this. Its all about how people are influenced.

Christopher said...

If it makes you feel any better, that makeover show makes me "get a little dust in my eye" every time too.

Brechi said...

I am with you on EMHE. It always gives me a lump in my throat when the person is so grateful to realize how much better their life can be with such special living accomodations.

dit said...

ahh, the old nature or nurture question. I believe we are all born with an "Inner core." in some cases it is sweet, in others . . . not so much. I believe the "not so much" can change, however they have to want it. A very good question. I donate to Habitat for Humanity. I think they do a good job of helping people. I wish we all could make more of a difference in the world.