Google
 

9/23/2007

A&F Greeters

Gosh!

Every time I go to the mall now, there are always greeters at Abercrombie and Fitch stores. Some of them are even naked (the guys only, of course, but that's all that matters, right?). Every time I walk into their store, I feel that my heart beats faster and my temperature rises. I must say, Abercrombie is a very (if not the most) successful clothing company. SEX SELLS! We all know this, but Abercrombie is the first one that believes their models can efficiently show off their clothes, if they don't wear them. What a great strategy! Many of us, myself included, dream to look like one of their models if we wear their clothes. (Note: I am not saying I want to look white because you might think that they mostly use Caucasian models. I am referring to their hotness in general and muscular bodies.)

Abercrombie first attracted attention when they began publishing catalogs with hot models in them. Most of them are half naked. Bruce Weber was one of the photographers that shot the issue with the famous Carlson twins in it. Of course, with great popularity comes great criticism (think about Britney Spears). The conservatives and the media (Wait! They are the same thing!) began questioning whether these catalogs were appropriate and whether our kids should see them. Although these catalogs were shrink wrapped and marked with a sticker saying nobody under 18 could purchase them, the media was powerful enough to bring some negativity to this brand. However, this didn't stop teens and adults from buying their clothes. This actually generated a lot of publicity for them.
And then, Abercrombie caused some more stirs. People began seeings these "humor t-shirts" with funny or sexually-provocative lines like "I have a long one." The most controversial one had to be the shirt that said "Two Wongs Can Make It White." I get it that they tried to be funny, but you must be crazy to make a public racist joke, IN THE UNITED STATES! I know there is still a lot of racism going on in this country today, but people just don't make it public. A lot of people think less of people of other races. It's not because they feel superior over people of a difference race. It's just that a lot of us see people of other races do strange things, and they don't want to spend time to understand why. Since the skin color is the most obvious trait you see on those people, it's easy (and probably natural) to relate the strange behavior to the people of that race. Acting violently upon the disagreement or disapproval of other people's "strange" behaviors makes you a racist. Thinking it silently in your brain doesn't, and this is what a lot of us still do today. I have to admit. Even I claim to treat people of difference races equally and I am definitely not a racist, I still relate certain behaviors to people of different races. I can only say that it's purely natural. However, when you publicize this information (like how Abercrombie prints these messages on their t-shirts), you are doomed to get criticized. They eventually got sued by a group of people. Was this just a joke that people didn't get, or was it an intentional publicity stunt?
I have to say that I once hated Abercrombie for a while because of the joke they made, but I got over it. I don't buy their "humor tees" anyway. I think they are a waste of money. I do like their dress shirts and polo shirts. They do have good quality and look trendy. Honestly!
Going back to the topic of this blog entry... There are more and more male models standing by the entrances of their stores and greeting their customers. They used to only do this around Christmas for charity (You can take pictures with them for a small fee, and they donate the money to charity organizations), but nowadays it seems like they do it all the time, or at least when I go. These evil models emit brainwashing wavelengths "BUY OUR CLOTHES, AND YOU WILL LOOK HOT LIKE ME." And it works.

I found the pictures used in this entry from different sources on the Internet. As you can see, Abercrombie has spread these evil models across the United States. Not that I am complaining. Any of these evil doers can seize control of my brain and body any time they want. More and more stores are being opened in other countries. I can only see Abercrombie and Fitch getting more and more successful in the near future. So when you walk into a store to check out their hot models and clothes, don't forget to check out their stocks!

4 comments:

Jon said...

In A&F, they got too many cute boys in the store and I will around there at least once when I was in the mall last year, surely I missed the store in NYC.
I hate how they do those silly racist thing.

Hey! Send me a catalogue of those :P

By the way, I love Eternal Summer a lot! It just bring me some kind of feelings.

Bruce said...

Yeah, those A&F boys are hot, but if the picture in your profile is actually you, then you are just as hot. Let's see more of your body to compare to the A&F boys just to make sure!

W said...

I usually don't buy stuff from A&F (don't like their moose logo on shirts and such), but frequent their stores to check out their stock!

Their ad strategy did cause much stir, not just in the US, my friend.

Christian said...

w: What other stirs did they cause in other countries?